The Molise region strongly reflects influence from its former rulers, the Sicilians.
With a history of poverty, there is strong emphasis on dishes made from simple and local ingredients.
However these humble dishes were often livened up with diavolina chilies; the fiery ingredient used in many recipes adds extra kick that is identifiable to this region.
- Zuppa di ortiche – Nettle sprout soup cooked with bacon and tomatoes.
- Pezatta – Stewed mutton flavoured with tomatoes, onions, rosemary and chili peppers.
- Baccalà alla cantalupese – Salt cured cod with olives, grapes, peppers, capers and garlic.
- Lepre a ciffe e ciaffe – Cooked hare marinated in wine and vinegar.
- Panettoncino – chocolate cake made with polenta.
Pentro di Isernia
Terre degli Osci