The hilly landscape and country side of the region boasts rich and fertile soil perfect to grow an array of vegetables that are prominent in Lazio dishes.
Traditionally the pheasants of the area would often have to eat lesser cuts of meat and these are still favored in many dishes today.
However, don’t let that fool you; food from the region is filled with spices, chili and a profusion of flavours.
- Pomodori Ripieno – baked stuffed tomatoes, seasoned with garlic and basil, stuffed with chopped tomatoes, rice and potatoes.
- Bucatini all’amatriciana – tubes of pasta tossed in a spicy pork sauce and grated pecorino cheese.
- Suppli al telefono – Rice balls stuffed with mozzarella, flavoured with veal, anchovies or liver.
- Baccalà in guazzetto – Salt cod cooked with tomatoes, pignolas, raisins and onions in olive oil.
- Zuppa inglese – A liqueur infused custard cake.
Costa Etrusco Romana