Many of the foods originating from the Calabrian region are dishes made with hearty and filling pasta, soups and vegetable.
Predominant ingredients within these recipes include eggplant, fish, and chili – which is crushed in oil and served with almost every meal.
The inland mountainous landscape means that cured meats and fishes are popular within Calabria.
- Licurdia – onion soup thickened with bread and seasoned with grated pecorino and chili pepper.
- Sagna chine – Lasagna sheets layered with mozzarella, egg, peas, artichokes and ground pork.
- Murseddu – Pork and veal liver pie with tomato and peppers.
- Pesce spada alla bagnarese – Swordfish roasted in olive oil, capers, parsley and lemon.
- Chinulille – Raviolli stuffed with nuts, candied fruit, nougat and chocolate, then fried.
Val di Neto
Terre di Cosenza