Similar to some of its surrounding regions, Basilicata is the epitome of simple and modest, yet astoundingly delicious cuisine.
Fresh and home grown ingredients including lamb, pork and vegetables are a signature of many dishes.
Pepperoncini chilli peppers are also renowned in this region and are used in many of the local recipes.
- Ciammotta – Fried Senise peppers, potatoes and eggplant stewed with tomatoes.
- Spezzatino di agnello – Lamb, potatoes, onions and peppers cooked in a terracotta clay pot.
- Acquasale – Tomato soup seasoned with onions, garlic and oil and thickened with bread.
- Lagane – Dish of wide noodle pasta with a chickpea, bean, walnut and breadcrumb sauce.
- Cuccia – Walnut pudding made from grano and flavoured with orange zest and honey.
Aglianico del Vulture Superiore
Aglianico del Vulture
Grottino di Roccanova
Terre dell’Alta Val d’Agri