Living Puglia – 2019
Enjoy Puglia with some of the brightest seas, most diverse architecture, most mouthwatering cuisine in all of Italy, during this luxurious 7 day tour.
Bari > Polignano > Trani > Castel del Monte > Polignano > Bari > Monopoli > Polignano > Alberobello > Locorotondo > Martina Franca > Locorotondo > Lecce > Ostuni > Locorotondo > Matera > Locorotondo > Bari
Arrival and Private Transfers
Day 1 Sunday Aperitivi and Dinner, overnight Polignano
A private transfer will be arranged from Bari Airport or station to Polignano a Mare, a delightful port just south of Bari. You stay in a 4 star boutique residence in the historical centre close to shops, cafes and restaurants.
Meet in the hotel lounge at 5pm for an introductory talk and aperitivi in the town’s delightful piazza followed by a welcome dinner in a local restaurant.
Trani and Castel Del Monte
Day 2 Monday Breakfast and Lunch, overnight Polignano
Drive to Trani by the sea with its beautiful port and impressive Norman cathedral. After lunch by Trani’s port, we drive to Castel del Monte, the Emperor Frederick II’s mysterious octagonal castle and hunting lodge which inspired the library in Umberto Eco’s novel “The Name of the Rose”. Your evening in Polignano is at leisure.
Bari and Monopoli
Day 3 Tuesday Breakfast and Lunch, overnight Polignano
The day will be spent visiting Bari’s historical centre and Monopoli, some of Puglia’s most evocative seaside towns clinging to the cliff faces of the Adriatic sea.
Alberobello, Locorotondo and Martina Franca
Day 4 Wednesday Breakfast and Dinner, overnight in Trulli at Locorotondo
Leaving early this morning we travel through the countryside of the Val d’Itria, passing through some of Puglia’s most evocative landscape and the area of the famous Trulli, conical stone structures originally built in dry stone. We visit a local family in the area and collect fresh produce from her garden with her after which she will prepare a delicious lunch of regional specialities. You can participate in the preparations, or wander the tiny winding streets of Trulli. After we settle into our own Trullo accommodation just outside the town of Locorotondo. In the afternoon we visit Alberobello, a town of Trulli, then a stroll through Locorotondo. An elegant dinner is served at the accommodation
Lecce and Ostuni
Day 5 Thursday Breakfast and Dinner, overnight in Trulli at Locorotondo
Lecce is an historic Baroque city in the heart of the Salento Region of Puglia and is often nicknamed The Florence of the South because of its abundant art and culture, apparent in its extraordinarily elaborate Spanish Baroque cathedral and ambitious public buildings. Guided visit in the town and free time for lunch. In the afternoon visit the town of Ostuni, known as the “white fortress”.
Day 6 Friday Breakfast and Dinner, overnight in Trulli at Locorotondo
Known for its historic centre called the Sassi, City of Stone that is made up of a complex of houses, churches, monasteries and hermitages built into natural caves, and has been used as the backdrop for several films including the Passion of Christ. With the help of the Italian government, UNESCO, and Hollywood the city has emerged from recent desperate poverty to be listed as World Heritage the European Culture Capitol in 2019. Located in the southern Italian region of Basilicata, the first inhabitants date from the Palaeolithic, while later settlements illustrate a number of significant stages in human history. Dinner at the accommodation. Farewell cocktails & dinner at the accommodation
Day 7 Saturday Breakfast
Transfer to Bari airport where the tour officially ends at around 10am.
- Sun 6–Sat 12 Jan
- Sun 21–Sat 27 Apr
- Sun 19–Sat 25 May
- Sun 23–Sat 29 Jun
- July – August dates on request +12% approx due to higher accommodation prices
- Sun 5–Sat 12 Sept
- Sun 6–Sat 12 Oct
- Sun 17–Sat 23 Nov
- The characteristic trullo, rural homes resembling a whitewashed beehive, are scattered among olive groves and huge prickly pear cacti in a huddle in and around Alberobello.
- Locorotondo is a round nest of a village where everything is white except for the bright splashes of red flowers that overtake its wrought-iron balconies.
- Ostuni is even more blinding, though a sea breeze caresses you as you hike up and down its steep inclines and marvel at the sculpted baroque portals on its whitewashed houses.
- But you haven’t seen Baroque in all its theatrical, indulgent, luxuriant excess until you’ve spent a day among the wreaths of stone fruit and women sculpted on the golden limestone churches and palaces of Lecce.
- Matera in nearby Basilicata was once the shame of Italy with homes in a warren of natural caves, now it may be Europe’s most dramatic story of rebirth.
Please contact us for additional pricing for optional extras.
- Private transfer from Bari Airport or station on arrival
- Accompaniment throughout by a local guide
- Small groups (max14) provide a better experience
- 6 days with breakfast and one main meal each day
- All land transport as per the itinerary
- Group transfer from the accommodation to Bari Airport
*City Tax not included and must be paid directly at the hotel on check out